This past week was a tough week. I flew my last flight in the F-16, as we get ready to move to Oklahoma to fly the T-38. It's hard to imagine after six years of flying the F-16, I may never have the chance to fly it again.
I was scheduled for my "fini flight" which is the true last flight. However, due to poor weather, we had to cancel the flight. Tonya had surprised me by coordinating to have my Dad and Brother fly in from Utah. The tradition is to spray the pilot after his last flight. Since they canceled all the flying that afternoon, the other pilots tied me up, taped me to the flagpole, and sprayed me down. It was fun for Robbie to have the opportunity to spray his Dad. It was fun having my Dad and Brother there with us (my Mom wasn't able to make it due to preparing for shoulder surgery the next day).
In addition to wrapping up my F-16 career, I was released as the YM President on Sunday. That was difficult because of the great memories during the past three years (Campouts, Duty to God, Scouting, etc.). And so our lives continue and we prepare for our next adventure. We've had the chance to establish some great friendships during our time in Phoenix and we look forward to maintaining those relationships throughout our life. So, to our friends in Phoenix we say good-bye until we meet again!
9 comments:
I got a little tear in my eye when I read this. We will miss you guys!
The tying up and spraying kinda makes you see why the church said to do away with traditions eh?
Tonya and Rob, you guys have such a fun blog! Good luck with your pack and move to OK. Thanks for the service you do to our country, Rob. Tonya, you look like the best of moms! Your children are adorable.
Now that I'm about to cry. That was a really nice post. I love how they tied you up...too funny.
We are going to miss you guys so much. I'm going to miss Robbie in class! He has a great way of having the spirit and still keeping things interesting! :)
Good luck in your new adventures! I'm sure you'll love it just as much. We just can't wait to have y'all back around these parts someday!
Strange tradition... the water spray thing...hummmm
Good luck in San Antonio during the hottest time of the year but then I suppose y'all have been in hot and hot and humid before. fun to catch up on your post... jan
You're blog is GREAT! You all are so good at keeping it up to date. We wish you all the best in your adventures to OK! You're an awesome family & an asset to the AF whatever you're flying!
Hey, time to update the blog!
Post a Comment